Wednesday 17 April 2013

What leaving my job for b-school has taught me about "fit"

With an admit in hand, bonus received, and annual review complete - I thought that by this time of the year, I'd slowly be riding off into the sunset of my pre-MBA career.  What I didn't know, but have come to realize, there's a short period - after getting admitted before resigning - that not a lot of people talk about.

I don't think enough gets said about the experience of leaving a job for b-school.  Say this because it would've been nice prepare for the frequent impromptu career discussions with various people, and the very polarized opinions a lot of people have about MBAs.

You learn a lot about people's priorities when talking about careers and going back to school.  I've had people have tell me about the way that their career paths have gone, and even some advice on what jobs to take, or cities to live in.  These are discussions that I appreciate because I'm a huge fan of stories.


Speaking of great stories - I should mention that I love the show Lost.  Its about a group of people brought to an island for a specific purpose, which is to protect the island.  As it turns out, this task is not straight forward - it takes a huge amount of time, several decades actually (and some time travel to boot).  But then as the story concludes, you begin to see that the characters were never really brought to do a job - each one was brought to the island to build a life.

When I talked to people about their careers, a lot of people say they got to a point of inflection - the moment when everything changed and they realize exactly what the characters in 'Lost' did.  At some point, you career becomes less about finding a great job, and more about building a great life.  A great job is a part - but its not the only part.

Now its very possible I could have had these conversations before my departure became public - and maybe that would have changed my career path a bit.  But right now, I'm really embracing the post-MBA advice I've been receiving and hope to post any other gems I uncover soon!

8 comments:

  1. Investigation into advancing my instructive goals were made to arranged universities inside my moment natural region. Innumerable of the schools reached required plan exams that I didn't trial, as I am capable and amazingly equipped for managing nearby school examinations but we have https://www.mbaessaywriting.net/services/mba-essay-editing/ website for all type of task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This website share a very important post. Student life is real time to prepared yourself strongly. And MBA degree is the final step. If you read hard then you can do better in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your life will be more better if you will give the importance to the education. Just work before the sunset and get the better blog list. With the link of explore more you can also find the applicant blog from this area of the invention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have completed MBA in 4 Years. Now I am a teacher in Sherpur college. I really love my job and Education. Thanks for sharing pre-MBA career article link

    ReplyDelete

  6. Yes for me it is right choice. Having MBA degree is a dream and i will suggest you to have this degree because there are lot of scope in this degree which can make your carrier. Here is the link of our new online service for students https://www.phdresearch.net/writing-a-phd-research-proposal-help/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Training is for every one for the made and for poor people. There square measure beyond any doubt offices that encourage the poor people by their advance plans and grants. We offer our perusers with the great post articles at frightfully low esteem.

    ReplyDelete